Home Made Food Recipes for Golden Retrievers
Generally, when you bring a dog home, you feed him/her commercial canned food or just raw meat from the butcher shop. If it’s a puppy then plenty of milk. And, this is ok, but just like with us humans, no food is better than homemade.
At times, people understand this the hard way, when their dog develops rashes or dry skin. Matter of fact, dog food is made of basically fillers, meat byproducts and useless junk and if your dog is more than a dog, you will want to give better food.
Important Tips To Consider While Preparing Dog-Food
It’s important to know the food you cook is going to give your dog a balanced diet. Also, remember your dog has a very short intestinal tract hence, they can’t chew like us humans. Therefore, it is important for you to ensure your dog gets an adequate amount of nutrients and digests his food properly. To ensure full digestion chop/grind the food properly.
Alternatively, you can add flax seeds and fish oil to their food. Though broccoli and cauliflower are healthy, still avoid too much as both have the tendency of giving your dog an upset stomach.
Try to use organic vegetables and leaner meats as they are healthier. If you plan on giving rice, opt for brown rice as it contains more nutrients. Use oats to add fiber and bulk to their diet. Use high-quality dry dog food with your homemade food to make sure all vitamins are available in the meal.
Here are three homemade recipes that will have your dog eat out of your hand, all the while maintaining their health as well.
Read More – Which Foods Can Your Dog Eat
PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
Dogs love to eat peanut butter. And these cookies are not just a treat, but also a great way to give your dog fish oil that will give him a shinier, softer and healthier coat.
If you can get organic peanut butter, would be great as the one available on the counters usually contains unhealthy hydrogenated oils. In case, you can’t find organic peanut butter, you can make it at home. Just blend together raw peanuts and peanut oil in your processor. Voila! Your peanut butter is ready.
For the cookies:
- 2 cups of flour (you can choose white or wheat, making sure your pup does not have any wheat allergies)
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1/3 cup of smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/2 tablespoon of fish oil
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Next, take a bowl and mix in flour and oats. Pour one cup water and blend together until smooth. Along way add the peanut butter, fish oil, honey and all the other ingredients and blend thoroughly
- Add water slowly making sure the mixture gets a thick dough consistency
- Take a cooking surface and lightly flour the base. Roll the dough onto the floured surface to get a 1/4 thick sheet of dough
- With help of a cookie cutter, cut desired shapes and set on to a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
Serve at room temperature.
RICE & VEGGIES
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1-pound ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup broccoli
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 sweet potato
- 4 cups water or (beef/chicken broth)
Chop all the veggies into small cubes. Add all the other ingredients in a large pot and cook for at least 30-45 minutes and serve. This is ideal for puppies or old age dogs.
CROCK POT CHICKEN
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of green beans, chopped
- 1/2 cup of carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup of broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (optional)
- 4 cups of water
Add all the ingredients in a bowl and cook at a low temperature for approximately 5-6 hours. This is perhaps the simplest and healthiest homemade recipe for your dog.
Your dog is more than a dog. It is part of your family. Just like the health of your family matters to you. Likewise, the health of your dog is also going to be your concern. Here we have given you just three recipes, but you can find more and give your dog a different meal that is not just homemade, yet healthy as well.
Read More – Tips to Keep Your Dog’s Teeth Clean
Read More – How to Train Your Golden Retriever Dog